Saturday, September 20, 2008

Another Perfect Day

I should have posted several things before now - I had some dreams about Michell that I wanted to post about; my anniversary is approaching and suddenly I am noticing that my wedding ring isn’t on my finger again; and then there’s the story about dad, Zoe, and the grapes that makes me laugh just thinking about it, but none of those have made it to the blog.

What is making it to the blog, however, is the moment of overwhelming grief that I had last night. I’m on a retreat – the single’s group at church has one ever fall, and I thought I was ok to come. We’re talking about gifts, and started the weekend by watching the movie “The Ultimate Gift” with James Garner (yep, from the Rockford Files).

During the movie, we meet a little girl who is dying from leukemia. She gets asked what was the gift she wanted more than anything, and she replies “The perfect day – a day spent with the people who love me, and who love each other.”

They ran that scene again during the credits. I had to leave the room for a few minutes, overwhelmed by how much I still miss Michell. Overwhelmed at the thought of having just one more day with her. We could do anything – even housework – and it would be a perfect day. Just because she would be there.

I’ve wondered all along if I was really ready to come to this retreat. I’m still not sure I am. I’ve wondered about where I’m really at. I don’t think I’ve had an overwhelming moment in months – and not many little moments either. Form talking to others and reading, I understand that I will never get “over” losing my wife, I will just get used to living without her.

If you're reading this, please realize that any day can be that “perfect day” – it’s not about what you do, it’s about who you are with.

1 comment:

Vonda said...

Steven, I thought of you on Saturday and my mind went back to your wedding 11 years ago in Raleigh. I remember singing a duet with Dave Bates and I remember you and Michell being so happy and it being "so right". I remember the first time she told me about you and how excited she was. Steven, Michell loved you so much and even though you did not have 50 years together your marriage was still such a testimony to all who knew you both. I always saw such a sweet love between you and one in which you wanted to glorify Christ in everything...that in itself is a LEGACY. Praying for you Steven and praying for your heart.