Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Be Thankful for "Lifers"

Been reconnecting with some my lifers lately - I am so thankful for them! What's a "lifer"? That's what I call a friend that remains true throughout your life. One of those handfull of friends with whom time and distance never matter, you can always pick right back up with never a snag. You know, the ones you can call at 2 in the morning and not have to apologize when you start the conversation.

So, why have I been reconnecting? Because my lifers are a great source of Godly counsel. They help me figure things out when I can't solve it on my own. The past few days have been especially cool, because God has used several of them in shifts, each one's advice and info adding to the prior to give me a fuller picture than any one could individually. How cool is that!

What a treasure my lifers are! They know many of my hidden faults and fears, but can look past them and still accept and care about me. They never force their ideas or advice on me, but their insight never ceases to amaze me - an amazing blend of their God-inspired wisdom and their understanding of who I reall am that frequently cuts to the heart of the matter.

Just in the past few days, I have reconnected with three of my lifers, including my longest-term lifer and the wife of my newest-term lifer couple (it's early in the relationship, but I'm pretty sure they're going to be lifers). The interactions have made me realize just how awesome these friends are to me, and how thankful I am that they are part of my life.

So, what about you? Do you have some lifers? If so, take a minute to be thankful and to realize just what a blessing you have.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Oh how I love my "lifer." She is in TX, so we do not get to physically see one another as much as we want, but she is always there. :O)

traceyvs said...

Lifers are our angels here on earth, and what a blessing they are!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself here, Steven. You minister more than you realize. :-)

Merry Christmas to you and your family...tell your dad hello for me.

Greg and Jill said...

Thanks Steven for the update! We love you all and wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!