Saturday, February 16, 2008

Satin sheets ... that we never used

I was looking through the drawers under the bed today, both to see what was in there and to see if I could free up some space to store some sheets and a blanket. In the process, I found a set of red satin sheets, and lots of pain.

You see, those sheets were never used. Michell bought them before we moved to Cookeville, so they are at least three, and probably more like five or six, years old. But they never made it onto the bed.

Why not? Michell had been saving them for a special occasion, a romantic evening on a bed with satin sheets. What kind of event would be worthy of such special treatment? Not an anniversary, or a new job, or even a new house – we had all those things, and none were special enough for the sheets to be used.

As I look back, I am afraid that what she was waiting for was for me to ask. Every few months we would be looking through those drawers, and she would point them out to me, pointing out how she was looking forward to the night we would, eventually, use them. And every time, I would think the same basic thing, “These feel slick and cold. I don’t think they would be very comfortable. I hope we don’t put them on today.” And we never did.

I think she knew I didn’t want to put them on the bed. I always thought that she would convince me someday, or just put them on when I wasn’t there to surprise me with a romantic evening. Every time we looked at them, I tried to prepare myself to react as well as possible when she eventually did put them on. Never did I think that she would die and leave them unused.

If there’s something you’re saving for sometime, someday, when something happens, or when things are just right… stop waiting. If there's something you know your spouse wants but you're resisting... stop resisting. Trust me, you will never regret the decision to go ahead and do things together.

In truth, I have very few regrets following Michell’s death – mostly because she pushed us to do the things we wanted to do together. We took 10 days in Orlando to ride all the best roller coasters. We took a 7-day Alaska cruise, not on our 15th or 20th anniversary like we first planned, because she got it in her head that we should go ahead and go. And I am so glad we went. I don't regret it for an instant. Even though it was at a lousy time (the summer we moved to Cookeville) and caused lots of stress (is that stuff in the temporary apartment, or in storage?), it was still a great trip. I don't regret it at all.

I only regret the things we never did.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Steven,
We have been praying daily for you and your family. Thank you for your words of wisdom about the "Why" questions. I will never understand God's reasons. And you're right, once we get to Heaven and know the answers, it won't matter. We love you and can't wait to see you in March. Thank you for the pictures. Michell's example of loving her family and making the most of every moment is inspiring to me. We are grieving with you and will continue to pray for God's strength and His love to envelope you and the girls.

-Colby

Anonymous said...

Steve
I was forwarded the link to your blog. Thanks for reminding us all that we never know how long we have here to love and enjoy our family. I haven't seen you in years but I wanted to share with you that every time I think of Michell I remember her bright smile and how joyful she always seemed. We were so saddened to hear of your loss. Please know that we continue to pray for you and the kids.

-Paige Bates

Vonda said...

Steven, what a good reminder to not wait on the things that are special! Michell spoke often about your Alaskan cruise and I know she enjoyed every single minute she had with her man. Steven, she loved you so very much and what I loved about Michell is that she enjoyed things to the fullest and she enjoyed the people she loved with her whole heart...such a great example for all of us as we journey through this life.
Vonda

Liz said...

I read your comment about the red satin sheets. I would like to give you a woman's viewpoint on that....however valid all of your comments are!

I think Michell felt as if ...even though she was lucky enough to own red sain sheets... she was even luckier to have a man who was so special that EVERY time she was with him was SO special that NOTHING could make it better for her. Not even red satin sheets!

anthonyandbeth said...

Steven,
I'm Beth, Vonda's sister-in-law, and she forwarded me your blog. We have prayed for your family and your blog is such a wonderful tribute to your wife. I know your girls and you will all look back on these journals, as difficult as they may be, and be thankful for every single one. Thank you for this post. What a wonderful reminder to not wait for special occasions but to live in the moments we have with each other RIGHT NOW!

God Bless you and your family,
Beth Williams