Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Great weekend, tough start to the week...

I had a great visit with some friends from NC this past weekend. They drove all the way from the Raleigh area with their two kids just to come see us. Michell would have loved it – both showing off the house and staying up until 2am to talk.

I also loved it – their kids and mine got along great, we got to do several things that are hard to do by myself, and they cooked almost every meal (I don’t think I’ve eaten that well in quite some time…)

Monday and Tuesday were hard. Every time I finish something like this, something that is different than it would have been if Michell was still alive, it forces me to deal with another wave of grief. At my desk at work on Monday, I probably just sat for over an hour, dealing again with the fact that my wife is gone.

Monday evening, Rachel really started having grief of missing Michell. I think seeing our guests operate as a family, especially as a family with a mommy, made her remember all the things she used to do with Michell. I guess I should expect it – if these things stir up my grief, then why not hers as well? It just rips me up, because I can’t fix it.

Then Zoe started fussing at 11pm and didn’t go back to sleep until about 1am, and then I had trouble going to sleep. It’s a good thing Rachel woke up on time – she came and got me up at 7:10 – or we would have been late for school on Tuesday. We were running close as it was!

Tuesday was also not the best day. First, I on the way home from dropping the girls at school, my car died. Just quit running as it came into the neighborhood. Praise God that I was close to home and not with the girls when it happened. Fuel pump, by the way, and should be ready by Thursday.

Then, when I finally got to work after getting the car towed to the shop, I got a call from preschool that Zoe had thrown up. So… away from work to get her, then off to see the doctor, who said “It might be a little cold, or a little virus, or just reflux. She’s fine.” But even this was not all bad, Zoe and I had a fun afternoon at the house together – she clearly wasn’t acting sick, she was playing everywhere (including on top of me).

But now it’s Wednesday. I got better sleep last night (4+3, give or take), Rachel & Zoe were in pretty good moods this morning, and both got up on time and got to school on time. God is good!

No comments: